Kolsen is growing, learning, and changing so much these days that it’s crazy to think that he’s already 6 months old. Here’s a recap of what he’s been up to the last two months!
5.5 Months: 19.3 lbs (90th percentile) / 28.5 inches (100th percentile) — We have his six month check-up on Friday.
Firsts: Since my last post, Kolsen has had a lot of firsts happen!
- Thanksgiving! Wednesday night we drove to Jake’s grandparents lake cabin. Thursday, we left the lake and spent the rest of the day with my parents. It was great to be able to spend time with both families.
- Haircut! Auntie Carrie gave him his first haircut. I didn’t want to cut his hair, but was baaaad! He had these long wispy hairs that came over his ears a good two inches. He had a pretty sweet combover as well. Getting pretty close to needing another one, too.
- Taste of food! He’s been bottle fed breastmilk only and now he is getting to try some new foods. His first meal was oatmeal. He didn’t particularly like it, but didn’t hate it either. Next, we tried bananas and he loved them! I’ve tried oatmeal and rice cereal a few different times, mixing in other foods, but he has grown to not like it all. So far he’s tried, apples, pears, carrots, beans, apricots, bananas, and a few premixed fruits and veggies. He hated the beans – to the point of gagging on them. We’re up to two meals a day which seems to be going pretty well.
- Caught pink eye! This was Kolsen’s first illness. We took him to the doctor right away and he got on some drops. Within two days he was back to normal.
- Met Santa! My company Christmas open house was the other weekend and Kolsen got to have his picture taken with Santa. He did such a good job, too. He just kept looking at Santa with big curious eyes and twirling Santa’s beard in his fingers.
- Cut his first tooth! His first tooth popped up over this past weekend. The front bottom right tooth. It didn’t seem to really bother him, so hopefully that’s a sign for the others to come.
- Sleep Habits: He’s been waking up more often than we’re used to these days. It’s still only one time during the night; sometimes he’ll have a little bottle, sometimes just the nuk and being rocked works. He usually wakes up between 6:30-7:30am, nap at about 9-10am for a couple hours, nap again at about 2-3pm for an hour or so, and a quick 30-45 minute nap around dinner time, and then goes to bed around 8:30-9pm. It’s nice to finally be on somewhat of a schedule.
- Eating Habits: Touched on this a bit before, but eating breakfast and dinner and then 6 oz bottles in between. Sometimes he’ll have a small bottle at breakfast and dinner too. We usually feed him half of a jar.
- Loves: He loves Henry’s toys and the remotes. He is so close to crawling, but for now has the army crawl down pat. He’s rolling all over the place, too. When he sees something he wants, his eyes get big and he start to breathe heavier – it’s so cute. I always know where his ticklish spots are and hearing his squeals and laughs is probably one of the best things ever. Rubbing your head on his belly always makes him laugh. If he gets cranky in the car, listening to Carrie Underwood usually calms him down. Taylor Swift makes him angrier. He loves to be in the exersaucer and standing up, moving around. He is sitting on his own, although not a pro yet. I still like to be next to him just in case he tips over. He is turning into a little flirt already. He loves “talking” and is making all sorts of noises.
- Hates: Beans! When we take Henry’s toys or something he’s not supposed to have (like the tv remotes or our cell phones) out of his hands. When people don’t pay enough attention to him. He’ll let you know that he wants you to hear him. There really isn’t a whole lot that he dislikes (thankfully).
He is such an awesome little
kid baby. I love the moment when I get to see him for the first time after daycare every day, he gets the biggest smile on his face. I melt. Last night, I was looking at pictures from over the past 6 months and got a little teary eyed. Looking back on how fast time has gone, how little he was, how much he’s changed, and what’s to come truly makes me realize how blessed and fortunate we are.
I hope everyone has a great holiday season with safe travels, lots of love, laughter, and friendship! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!